Today (Aug. 12) marks Plaxico Burress’s 40th birthday.
A product of Virginia Beach (Va.) Green Run High School, his two seasons with Michigan State were spectacular. In 1998 as a freshman, Burress set a Spartan record with 65 catches for 1,013 yards. As a sophomore the next season, he bettered his school marks with 66 grabs for 1,142 yards.
Two particularly memorable games as MSU came in his second season. Burress had a record 255 receiving yards in a 34-31 victory over Michigan (1999), then he followed it up with 13 receptions in State’s 2000 Citrus Bowl win vs. Florida.
Drafted eighth overall in the 2000 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, Burress went on to amass 553 catches for 8,499 yards in 11 professional seasons.
His standing among former Big Ten players in NFL career receiving yardage:
1. 13,899 yards, Cris Carter, Ohio State
2. 12,785 yards, Irving Fryar, Nebraska
3. 12,061 yards, Derrick Mason, Michigan State
4. 11,438 yards, Muhsin Muhammad, Michigan State
5. 10,950 yards, Joey Galloway, Ohio State
6. 10,205 yards, Andre Rison, Michigan State
7. 9,497 yards, Amani Toomer, Michigan
8. 8,823 yards, Terry Glenn, Ohio State
9. 8,565 yards, Paul Warfield, Ohio State
10. 8,499 yards, Plaxico Burress, Michigan State